    SubjectRe: [Devel] Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps
    Kirill Korotaev wrote:

    > Bill,
    >>> OpenVZ will have live zero downtime migration and suspend/resume
    >>> some time next month.
    >> Please clarify. Currently a migration involves:
    >> - stopping or suspending the instance
    >> - backing up the instance and all of its data
    >> - creating an environment for the instance on a new machine
    >> - transporting the data to a new machine
    >> - installing the instance and all data
    >> - starting the instance
    >> If you could just briefly cover how you do each of these steps with zero
    >> downtime...
    > it does exactly what you wrote with some minor steps such as
    > networking stop on source and start on destination etc.
    > So I would detailed it like this:
    > - freeze VPS

    when the VM stops providing services it's down as far as I'm concerned

    > - freeze networking
    > - copy VPS data to destination
    > - dump VPS
    > - copy dump to the destination
    > - restore VPS
    > - unfreeze VPS

    and here is where my service is available again. The server may not know
    it's been down, but the clients will.

    > - kill original VPS on source
    > Moreover, in OpenVZ live migration allows to migrate 32bit VPSs
    > between i686 and x86-64 Linux machines.

    I guess you're using "zero downtime" as a marketing term rather than a
    technical term.

    bill davidsen <>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2006-04-30 15:15    [W:0.021 / U:16.060 seconds]