SubjectRe: 2.6.17-rc2-mm1
Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> writes:

> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.17-rc2/2.6.17-rc2-mm1/
>

> - It took six hours work to get this release building and linking in just a
> basic fashion on eight-odd architectures. It's getting out of control.

We all appreciate your hard work.

> The acphphp driver is still broken and v4l and memory hotplug are, I
> suspect, only hanging in there by the skin of their teeth.
>
> Could patch submitters _please_ be a lot more careful about getting the
> Kconfig correct, testing various Kconfig combinations (yes sometimes
> people will want to disable your lovely new feature) and just generally
> think about these things a bit harder? It isn't rocket science.

Is this something that could be automated with some machine power?

e.g. every time a patch is added a small cluster could build the patches
with some configurations on various architectures and if it doesn't build
autoflame the patch submitter.

We use this in SUSE for the SUSE kernels and it works quite well.

Maybe someone could contribute the build power needed for that. I suppose
it could be done by just a few scripts listening to mm-commits?

-Andi

  Last update: 2006-04-27 12:19    [W:0.155 / U:0.716 seconds]