    SubjectRe: C++ pushback
    Denis Vlasenko wrote:
    > On Thursday 27 April 2006 17:27, Avi Kivity wrote:
    >
    >>> Where do you see goto-heavy code in kernel?
    >>>

    >> [avi@cleopatra linux]$ grep -rw goto . | wc -l
    >> 37448
    >>
    >> Repeat without 'wc' to get a detailed listing.
    >>

    > In 1999 Dave 'Barc0de' Jones, Paranoid wierdo noize making geek,
    > wrote this:
    >
    > http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9901.2/0939.html
    >
    > I failed to find a link, but in 2004 Dave Jones, a well-known
    > kernel hacker, wrote something like "Wow, it's fun to read
    > my own old mail, how naive I was back then :)"

    :)

    I'll refer you to the 4-line vs 14-line examples. To the C++ trained
    mind, the 4 line segment is much clearer.

    > Feel free to get your hards dirty with kernel development,
    > and maybe you will say something similar a few years from now.

    I have some experience with kernel code (mucking about the asynchronous
    I/O implementation) and a lot of experience in C++ system code (both
    ring 0 and userspace). What I've written in this thread is a result of
    20+ (can't believe I'm writing that number) years of coding, not
    theoretical studies (I've studied aeronautical engineering but practiced
    it very little; if I talk about that maybe you can use the theory vs
    practice argument).