    SubjectRe: Compiling C++ modules
    On 4/24/06, Kyle Moffett <> wrote:

    > What else can C++ do that C can not?

    Inheritance, templates...

    I would never argue in favor of converting any large existing
    application, especially the Linux kernel, from C to C++ by introducing
    C++ into part of it; for a lot of reasons, but it is possible to write
    a reasonable OS kernel in C++ and take advantage of "C++ as a safer C"
    (Koenig) to write clearer, shorter code in a lot of instances.

    Unfortunately, it's almost as easy to write bad C++ as it is to write
    bad C (Fortran in any language) but we (the community) have a lot more
    experience in writing C kernels, so we're more familiar with how to
    avoid bad C than we are with how to avoid bad C++.

    The existance of Bulwer-Lytton does not disprove that good prose can
    be written in English, nor does silly abuse of overloading disprove
    that good code can be written in C++.

    Oh, and yeah, a = b + c *is* more readable than

    a = malloc(strlen(b) + strlen(c));

    and contains fewer bugs ;)

      Last update: 2006-04-24 23:53    [W:0.019 / U:35.600 seconds]