SubjectRe: [RFC] VBE DDC bios call stalls boot
Ingo Oeser wrote:
> On Sunday, 23. April 2006 21:08, Yum Rayan wrote:
>> I don't think boot should stall for any reason. Moreover given that
>> user space programs are doing these VBE/DDC calls, I don't see any
>> compelling reason why this code need to exist is such early boot
>> stage. If it absolutely needs to be called in the kernel, at least if
>> invoked sometime later, we could time out this call as a workaround.
>
> Don't configure CONFIG_FB_FIRMWARE_EDID, if it doesn't work
> on your hardware.

This option is new and not yet available in 2.6.15, so you may have
to use your patch temporarily. If you can, set CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT = n
in Device Drivers -> Graphics support -> Console Drivers ->
Video mode selection support. However, this is automatically selected by FB,
PCI, and X86_32, so it may not be changeable.

The "vga=" option will not be available if VIDEO_SELECT is not set.

Or just apply this changeset:

http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=59153f7d7effdb5b3c81eb6d03914a866157b319

to make CONFIG_FB_FIRMWARE_EDID available.

Tony

  Last update: 2006-04-24 01:46    [W:0.096 / U:0.124 seconds]