    SubjectRe: Removing .tmp_versions considered harmful
    On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 12:22:22AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
    > Hello!
    > A patch applied shortly after Linux 2.6.16
    > (fb3cbd2e575f9ac0700bfa1e7cb9f4119fbd0abd in git) causes
    > the .tmp_versions directory to be removed every time make is run to
    > build external modules.
    > 2) The projects where modules are build in more than one directory (such
    > as MadWifi) are now compiled with spurious warnings about unresolved
    > symbols. This happens because every module is compiled individually,
    > and the *.mod files for one module are removed before the other is
    > compiled.

    Then fix madwifi so it builds modules as documented in
    See: --- 5.3 External modules using several directories

    As with many other external modules madwifi contains a lot of ugly
    makefile hackery - and if done as documentated it gets so much simpler.
    I'm aware that 2-4 support complicates things a little but if people
    made it be slimm and nice for 2.6 and _then_ added 2.4 supporrrrrrrrrrit
    woulllllld be much simpler.
    It seems that people keep all the hackery for 2.4 and does a bad job
    adapting to 2.6.

    All the bad FAQ's out there does a good job confusing people.
    Almost no-one mention SUBDIRS= as is preferred with 2.4 but seldom used

      Last update: 2006-04-21 09:34    [W:0.037 / U:79.248 seconds]