SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.17-rc2
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> (Some users may even be able to take _advantage_ of the fact that the
> buffer is "in flight" _and_ mapped into user space after it has been
> submitted. You could imagine code that actually goes on modifying the
> buffer even while it's being queued for sending. Under some strange
> circumstances that may actually be useful, although with things like
> checksums that get invalidated by you changing the data while it's queued
> up, it may not be acceptable for everything, of course).

I could see this in some sort of logging/monitoring situation where you
want the latest data you can possibly get at each write. with the
appropriate care in write ordering you could have one thread update the
buffer continuously and the buffer gets written out periodicly, what gets
written is the latest possible info.

definantly not a common case, but I could see it's use in some cases.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare

  Last update: 2006-04-21 02:29    [W:0.178 / U:1.200 seconds]