    SubjectRe: was Re: quell interactive feeding frenzy
    Date
    Con Kolivas wrote:
    > Al Since you have an unhealthy interest in cpu schedulers you may also
    > want to look at my ultimate fairness with mild interactivity builtin cpu
    > scheduler I hacked on briefly. I was bored for a couple of days and came
    > up with the design and hacked it together. I never got around to finishing
    > it to live up fully to its design intent but it's working embarassingly
    > well at the moment. It makes no effort to optimise for interactivity in
    > anyw way. Maybe if I ever find some spare time I'll give it more polish
    > and port it to plugsched. Ignore the lovely name I give it; the patch is
    > for 2.6.16. It's a dual priority array rr scheduler that iterates over all
    > priorities. This is as opposed to staircase which is a single priority
    > array scheduler where the tasks themselves iterate over all priorities.

    It's not bad, but it seems to allow cpu-hogs to steal left-over timeslices,
    which increases unfairness as the proc load increases. Conditionalizing
    prio-boosting based on hogginess maybe one way to compensate for this. This
    would involve resisting any prio-change unless hogged, which should be
    scaled by hogginess, something like SleepAVG but much simpler and less
    fluctuating.

    Really, the key to a successful scheduler would be to build it step by step
    by way of abstraction, modularization, and extension. Starting w/ a
    noop/RR-scheduler, each step would need to be analyzed for stability and
    efficiency, before moving to the next step, thus exposing problems as you
    move from step to step.

    Thanks!

    --
    Al