    SubjectRe: Where to call L2 cache enabling code from?
    On Friday 14 April 2006 11:46 am, Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Gwe, 2006-04-14 at 11:05 -0400, Steve Snyder wrote:
    > > I have a machine in which the BIOS does not enable the Pentium3's L2
    > > cache at boot time. At what point in the kernel init process
    > > can/should I call the code to enable the cache?
    > What part of the cache setup is not done correctly ? The mtrr registers
    > or other things ?

    It's not that the kernel is failing in any respect. The BIOS simply does
    not enable the on-CPU L2 cache at power-on. (The machine originally
    shipped with a Pentium2, and doesn't know how to enable the L2 cache on
    the Pentium3 that is now running in it.)

    I've got a small device driver that enables the L2 cache. It works fine
    when build as a module and loaded after booting has completed. My goal
    is to move the code into the kernel so that it is run early in the kernel
    init process. I expect that having the L2 cache go from "0KB" to 256KB
    will improve boot time greatly, as well as informing the kernel from the
    get-go of the true capabilities of this processor.

    Getting the code into the kernel image is a no-brainer. But once it is
    built into the kernel, at what point should I call it?

    Thanks for the response.

      Last update: 2006-04-14 18:52    [W:0.019 / U:111.696 seconds]