    Subjectramdisk driver strange behaviour
    i'm trying to use a ramdisk driver (block/rd.c) and experienced some
    very strnage behaviour. In brief:
    If I set ramdisk_blocksize=512 on the kernel command line, the driver
    operates oddly. I execute the following commands in a shell:

    mkfs.ext2 /dev/ram0 ~runs fine, no errors
    mount /dev/ram0 /mnt/disk ~doesn't mount the filesystem, can't find
    it on device
    mkfs.ext2 /dev/ram0 ~runs fine, same as above
    mount /dev/ram0 /mnt/disk ~mounts fine

    I have to make exactly this command sequence, to make the fs usable,
    eg: mkfs.ext2 twice without trying to mount doesn't work. Once the
    mount succeeds everything works fine, i can read/write files,
    unmount/remount everything as expected.
    I copied the ramdisk contents with dd into a file, and after the first
    pass it's all zeros nothing else. Like the first mkfs didn't do

    If I remove the ramdisk_blocksize option from the kernel command line
    (defaults to 1024) then all is ok.

    Test configs:
    Linux x86 (stock kernel)
    ramdisk config: 4 ramdisks of 1024k

    ucLinux 2.6.14 ARM/nommu
    ramdisk config: 4 ramdisks of 1024k

    ps: i'm not subscribet to LKML, please CC me.

      Last update: 2006-04-14 16:02    [W:0.020 / U:4.748 seconds]