    SubjectRe: [lm-sensors] scx200_acb: Use PCI I/O resource when appropriate
    Hello all,

    > And so our dirty laundry is out... :)
    > We have a sad history here - back a few parts, we had less descriptors to
    > describe IO, so we opted to combine several components under the same PCI
    > header to save resources. So the bottom line is that we have at least three
    > desirable devices (timers, GPIO pins and the SMBus) that all lay claim to
    > the same device. So a proper PCI header would be difficult to implement -
    > either we would have 1 device that registered with three different
    > subsystems, or we would have three individual devices, the first of which
    > would get the PCI resources to the ruin of the others.

    Well we had the problem with i2c-viapro and vi686a. Best solution was
    to fail from the probe function - like this:

    /* Always return failure here. This is to allow other drivers to bind
    * to this pci device. We don't really want to have control over the
    * pci device, we only wanted to read as few register values from it.
    return -ENODEV;

    release_region(vt596_smba, 8);
    return error;

    > So this is the solution I came up with, for older parts. For newer parts,
    > I sat the BIOS guys down in a room with a guy name Bruno, and they agreed
    > to make a separate header for each component.

    This is good ;)

      Last update: 2006-04-11 18:31    [W:0.028 / U:30.716 seconds]