SubjectRe: 2.6.15-rt20, "bad page state", jackd
On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 09:57 +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
> > In my case it is completely repeatable.
> > Boot, start jackd, stop jackd -> problem appears.
> >
> > This does not happen on all computers so it would seem to me it is
> > related to the sound drivers. I'll try to see if there is a correlation
> > with the sound card being used.
> >
> > Is there anything else I could do to try to help resolve this?
>
> Can you test with the latest mainline -git snapshot, or is it only
> the -rt tree that causes the warnings?

I found something strange although I don't know why it happens yet:

Fedora Core 4 kernel (2.6.15 + patches) works fine.
Fedora Core 4 kernel + -rt21, [ahem... sorry], works fine.
Fedora Core 4 kernel + -rt21 + alsa kernel modules from 1.0.10 or
1.0.11rc3, fails[*]
Plain vanilla 2.6.15 + -rt21, works fine
Plain vanilla 2.6.15 + -rt21 + alsa kernel modules from 1.0.10 or
1.0.11rc3, fails[*]

So, it looks like it is some weird interaction between kernel modules
that were not compiled as part of the kernel and the kernel itself. The
"updated" modules are installed in a separate location (not on top of
the built in kernel modules) and are found before the ones in the kernel
tree.

I have been building this combination for a long long time with no
problems, I don't know what might have happened that changed things.

Could be:
- configuration problems?
- the alsa tree is somehow incompatible with the kernel alsa tree, is
that even possible?

I have _no_ idea on what to start looking for... but, oh well, this is a
start. Suggestions welcome. Thanks for somehow pointing me in the right
direction.

-- Fernando

[*] I need that because of cards not yet included in the kernel proper,
and fixes that have not yet percolated to the kernel alsa tree.

  Last update: 2006-03-10 03:53    [W:0.228 / U:0.188 seconds]