SubjectRe: [Libusb-devel] Re: 2.6.16 serious consequences / GPL_EXPORT_SYMBOL / USB drivers of major vendor excluded
Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:47:43PM +0100, s.schmidt@avm.de wrote:
>
>>Compared to other operating systems, such as Mac OS, BeOS,
>>Windows etc., Linux is walking a solitary path with the "user mode only"
>>shift. One gets the impression, that legal concerns are leading Linux to a
>>technically suboptimal/isolated solution.
>
> No, right now, Linux has the best latency numbers _by far_ than any
> other operating system, so we can move stuff to userspace.
>
> And again, it's your legal issues that are forcing you that way, if you
> change that, putting everything in the kernel would be fine :)

(Since this came to me via the libusb list, and we've kind of
gone past libusb-specific-related discussion, I thought I'd
add another question to the thread).

What's the rationale behind the dichotomy between userspace
and kernel licensing models?

mike

  Last update: 2006-03-06 22:41    [W:0.129 / U:0.164 seconds]