    SubjectRe: [Patch 0/8] per-task delay accounting

    Shailabh> Peter Chubb wrote:
    (microstate accounting patch)
    >> It's still maintained in a sporadic sort of way --- I update it
    >> when either I need it for something, or someone's downloaded it and
    >> asks why it doesn't work agains kernel X.Y.Z. I see a few
    >> downloads a month.
    >>

    Shailabh> So do you intend to pursue acceptance ? If so, do you think
    Shailabh> the netlink-based taskstats interface provided by the delay
    Shailabh> accounting patches could be an acceptable substitute for the
    Shailabh> interfaces you had (from an old lkml post, they appear to be
    Shailabh> /proc/tgid/msa and a syscall based one) ?

    I'd have to take a close look. The syscall interface is modelled on
    getrusage(), and only lets you get your own or your children's data;
    I'm not too worried about trashing it, as it should be possible to
    emulate in terms of netlink (albeit at a cost; system calls are
    relatively cheap)

    /proc/<pid>/task/<tid>/msa lets you get at anything you own. I use
    awk scripts to process the msa file in /proc/... and pipe it into
    gnuplot at n second intervals; a netlink interface would need to have
    an auxiliary program to read it and then squirt it into the scripts, I
    think --- or is there a way to get ASCII out on demand? I quite often
    use cat to do quick checks on whats going on too --- so overall I think
    the /proc interface is desirable.

    --
    Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
    http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au ERTOS within National ICT Australia