    SubjectRe: Synchronizing Bit operations V2
    On Friday 31 March 2006 19:45, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > > Christoph Lameter <> writes:
    > > > MODE_BARRIER
    > > > An atomic operation that is guaranteed to occur between
    > > > previous and later memory operations.
    > > I think it's a bad idea to create such an complicated interface.
    > > The chances that an average kernel coder will get these right are
    > > quite small. And it will be 100% untested outside IA64 I guess
    > > and thus likely be always slightly buggy as kernel code continues
    > > to change.
    > Powerpc can do similar things AFAIK. Not sure what other arches have
    > finer grained control over barriers but it could cover a lot of special
    > cases for other processors as well.

    Yes, but I don't think the goal of a portable atomic operations API
    in Linux is it to cover everybody's special case in every possible
    combination. The goal is to have an abstraction that will lead to
    portable code. I don't think your proposal will do this.

      Last update: 2006-03-31 19:52    [W:0.020 / U:43.152 seconds]