    SubjectRe: Spurious rebuilds of raid6 and drivers/media/video in 2.6.16
    Sam Ravnborg schrieb:
    > On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 01:55:55PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>if I copy a compiled kernel tree to another location and run
    >>make again in the new directory, a few files always get rebuilt.
    >>These files only are rebuilt if the tree is a copy of another
    >>tree and they are rebuilt only once.
    >>Any ideas why this is the case?
    >
    > The reason why the predictive rebuild happens is that in some parts
    > of the kbuild files it has been necessary to use absolute paths.
    > One example is the oiu2c shell script where we use the full path
    > to locate the shell script.
    > The reason why a full path is used is that this shall also work when
    > compiling the kernel using make O=...

    Thanks for the information.

    > So the rebuild will happen. It would be possible to minimize the places
    > where a rebuild is triggered when moving the source tree, but I have not
    > seen any benefit doing so lately.

    Well, it would cause less confusion. It seems that ~90% of rebuilt files
    are due to the following makefiles where full paths to includes are
    specified:
    ./drivers/media/video/cx88/Makefile
    ./drivers/media/video/Makefile
    ./drivers/media/video/cx25840/Makefile