    SubjectRe: sg regression in 2.6.16-rc5
    Date

    On Mar 3, 2006, at 1:55 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Steve Byan wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mar 1, 2006, at 1:42 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I wouldn't expect it to. Most people use ATA for that, and it
    >>> tends to
    >>> have lower limits than most SCSI HBA's (well, at least the old
    >>> PATA), so
    >>> the change - if any - should at most change some of the sg.c
    >>> limits to be
    >>> no less than what SG_IO has had on ATA forever.
    >>>
    >>> Not that I expect people to have a SCSI CD/DVD drive anyway in
    >>> this day
    >>> and age, so the sg.c changes probably won't show up at all.
    >>
    >> CD-ROM support is a frequently-requested feature on the iSCSI
    >> Enterprise
    >> Target (iet) email list. It won't be long before iSCSI CD and DVD
    >> devices
    >> start showing up, although the underlying hardware will be ATAPI
    >> or else
    >> missing entirely (i.e. ISO image file).
    >
    > Yes, but the point that the ATA limits tend to be on the low side
    > still
    > stands.
    >
    > For example, I think the IDE driver defaults to a maximum transfer
    > of 256
    > sectors, and the same number of max scatter-gather entries. Some
    > controllers will actually lower that, due to silly hw problems.
    >
    > The point being that it has worked fine for IDE, and if a SCSI
    > controller
    > has noticeably lower limits than that, there's something really
    > strange
    > going on, like a real bug.

    Yes, you are correct. I wasn't intending to contest your main point.
    I only intended to point out that ignoring bugs because no-one uses
    SCSI DVDs will soon lead to much grief.

    Regards,
    -Steve
    --
    Steve Byan <smb@egenera.com>
    Software Architect

      Last update: 2006-03-03 20:16    [W:0.028 / U:0.008 seconds]