SubjectRe: hda-intel woes
Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> I wasn;t trying to be flippant or rude, I was simply pointing this
> person to a website where they might find answers. Most users are not
> programmers and expecting them to debug patches and rebuild a kernel
> (which won't work in most cases because of forking and massive patches
> by the DISTRO vendors) .

Since at least one other person mentioned that your reply was harsh,
leave it that your intentions were good and you weren't intentionally
impolitic.

> Linux has grown up. People using laptops with distros will find a lot
> of answers on these forums.
> How about wireless drivers? Bcm drivers for example. Written as NDIS
> and using ndiswrapper. Laptop issues are complicated and not general
> bugs. LKML isn;t useful to address these issues. I don't even get
> I don't use stock kernel.org releases any longer since the distro's have
> forked so extensively.

Since the issue is/was in the kernel.org release, the question wasn't
really out of place. As noted ASUS sound hasn't worked forever, and last
night I was curious about the claims that it was fixed, and lo... I have
sound in 2.6.16.1. Of course my webcam stopped working, so now that I
can play back my meeting notes I can't record the meeting :-( That's not
a trouble report, I have to look at all my config stuff first.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)