    SubjectRe: [RFC] Virtualization steps
    Kirill Korotaev wrote:
    > Nick, will be glad to shed some light on it.

    Thanks very much Kirill.

    I don't think I'm qualified to make any decisions about this,
    so I don't want to detract from the real discussions, but I
    just had a couple more questions:

    > First of all, what it does which low level virtualization can't:
    > - it allows to run 100 containers on 1GB RAM
    > (it is called containers, VE - Virtual Environments,
    > VPS - Virtual Private Servers).
    > - it has no much overhead (<1-2%), which is unavoidable with hardware
    > virtualization. For example, Xen has >20% overhead on disk I/O.

    Are any future hardware solutions likely to improve these problems?

    > OS kernel virtualization
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Is this considered secure enough that multiple untrusted VEs are run
    on production systems?

    What kind of users want this, who can't use alternatives like real

    > Summary of previous discussions on LKML

    Have their been any discussions between the groups pushing this
    virtualization, and important kernel developers who are not part of
    a virtualization effort? Ie. is there any consensus about the
    future of these patches?

    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

      Last update: 2006-03-28 13:39    [W:0.023 / U:0.388 seconds]