SubjectRe: [RFC] Virtualization steps
Kirill Korotaev wrote:
> Nick, will be glad to shed some light on it.

Thanks very much Kirill.

I don't think I'm qualified to make any decisions about this,
so I don't want to detract from the real discussions, but I
just had a couple more questions:

> First of all, what it does which low level virtualization can't:
> - it allows to run 100 containers on 1GB RAM
> (it is called containers, VE - Virtual Environments,
> VPS - Virtual Private Servers).
> - it has no much overhead (<1-2%), which is unavoidable with hardware
> virtualization. For example, Xen has >20% overhead on disk I/O.

Are any future hardware solutions likely to improve these problems?

> OS kernel virtualization
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is this considered secure enough that multiple untrusted VEs are run
on production systems?

What kind of users want this, who can't use alternatives like real

> Summary of previous discussions on LKML

Have their been any discussions between the groups pushing this
virtualization, and important kernel developers who are not part of
a virtualization effort? Ie. is there any consensus about the
future of these patches?

SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.