SubjectRe: hda-intel woes
Date
On Mar 27, 2006, at 19:45:34, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> Visit www.redhat.com. Purchase a support contract for customer
> service, fastest way to get help.

First of all, Jeff, no need to be rude, he asked a reasonable
question and provided all the pertinent useful info. You also
committed the grievous mailing-list etiquette violation of top-
posting. A more polite and useful response is as follows:

Friedrich Göpel wrote:
> This same message was sent to the alsa mailinglist 3 weeks ago, but
> it still seems to be waiting on being moderated, so I'm resending
> this here.

Hi! Unfortunately messages tend to get lost on occasion due to the
sheer volume of email. Sometimes you may have to resend a couple
times to get a response. It also helps if you add relevant CC's from
the MAINTAINERS file (added to this message). You can also file a
bug report on the ALSA bug tracker, I think the ALSA people tend to
be fairly good about keeping up with that; sometimes more so than the
mailing list.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

Remainder copied verbatim for those added to the CC:
> Hi,
>
> I tried installing linux on my sister's new acer extensa 6700
> laptop. I tried Fedora FC4, FC5 test 3 and now Gentoo with various
> kernel and alsa versions (specifically 1.0.10 and 1.0.11-rc3 and
> whatever is in fedora before and after a full update). Also I set
> up a friends vaio laptop also with an intel hd audio chip, which is
> working peachy. I also tried model=basic/hp/fujitsu just in case.
>
> Just to preempt the question: I did unmute and raise the mixer levels.
>
> Anyways the damn thing is not to be convinced to produce a single
> sound.
>
> In light of this I suppose Acer did something nasty to that chip.
>
> I'm attatching here the relevant part of lspci -vv in hopes of
> somebody being either able to point out a fix or tell me if it's
> going to be supported sometime soon.
>
> I could pose as a genuea pig if neccessary. Also if there is any
> further information I should gather just tell me.
>
> Otherwise it's back to windows for my sister I guess.
>
> PS. I'm not subscribed to the list so please CC me. Thanks.
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6
> Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 008f
> Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable-
> Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000
> Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
> Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc
> 0, ExtTag-
> Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
> Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
> Unsupported-
> Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
> Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
> Link: Supported Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM
> unknown, Port 0
> Link: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
> Link: ASPM Disabled CommClk- ExtSynch-
> Link: Speed unknown, Width x0
> Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
> Capabilities: [130] Unknown (5)

  Last update: 2006-03-28 03:25    [W:0.074 / U:0.600 seconds]