    SubjectRe: mem= causes oops (was Re: BIOS causes (exposes?) modprobe (load_module) kernel oops)
    On Friday 24 March 2006 16:32, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
    > > Here it is:
    > >
    > > fails with cmdline:
    > >
    > > Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10 mem=0x200M
    > > console=ttyS0,115200n8
    > >
    > > works with:
    > >
    > > Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10
    > > console=ttyS0,115200n8
    > >
    > > Note the "mem=" being the differentiator!
    > OK, that is memory map difference.
    > Can you test a more recent kernel to see if it has the same problem?
    > (like 2.6.16 or 2.6.16-git9)

    No luck, or difference, for that matter. 2.6.16 behaves identically. I'm
    trying a few different options, such as disabling MSI/MSI-X support,
    because what I've seen is that it all works fine with it as long as the h/w
    has MSI support, but in all the case I've seen fail, the common denominator
    is no MSI (and also all ICH4 platforms). The cases where I can't make it fail
    is where the h/w has MSI support. One other noteworthy difference is that the
    failures all occur on Intel graphics chipsets, while the successes are non-graphics.
    Still trying to find out whether the failure follows graphics or the ICH4.

    Anyway, what would help me is if someone could tell me if the page fault is a normal and
    expected code path by design, in order to page in the area setup by __vmalloc_area()
    as triggered by the module_alloc() call. I'd really rather not have to trace through the
    page fault handler to identify the difference between success/failure unless I have to.

      Last update: 2006-03-25 19:39    [W:0.020 / U:9.408 seconds]