SubjectRe: [ck] swap prefetching merge plans
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:01:53 +0100
jos poortvliet <jos@mijnkamer.nl> wrote:

> Op donderdag 23 maart 2006 08:04, schreef Con Kolivas:
> > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:53 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > A look at the -mm lineup for 2.6.17:
> > >
> > > mm-implement-swap-prefetching.patch
> > > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-fix.patch
> > > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-tweaks.patch
> > >
> > > Still don't have a compelling argument for this, IMO.
>
> well, the reason i use it is my computer is much more reactive in the
> morning. linux uses to get very slow after a night of not-doing-much
> except some 'sleep 5h && blabla' and cron stuff. in the morning it
> takes a few HOURS to get up and running smoothly. with swap prefetch,
> it actually feels faster compared to a fresh boot. now you can force
> swap prefetch to start working, i use it now and then after some
> heavy taskts which pulled everything to swap.

I absolutely second that! It was really annoying to have the box
unresponsive in the morning - like waiting 3-4 minutes till sylpheed
started up. This effect is almost totally gone with sp.

  Last update: 2006-03-23 09:35    [W:0.173 / U:0.444 seconds]