    SubjectRe: [ck] swap prefetching merge plans
    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:01:53 +0100
    jos poortvliet <jos@mijnkamer.nl> wrote:

    > Op donderdag 23 maart 2006 08:04, schreef Con Kolivas:
    > > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:53 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > > A look at the -mm lineup for 2.6.17:
    > > >
    > > > mm-implement-swap-prefetching.patch
    > > > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-fix.patch
    > > > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-tweaks.patch
    > > >
    > > > Still don't have a compelling argument for this, IMO.
    >
    > well, the reason i use it is my computer is much more reactive in the
    > morning. linux uses to get very slow after a night of not-doing-much
    > except some 'sleep 5h && blabla' and cron stuff. in the morning it
    > takes a few HOURS to get up and running smoothly. with swap prefetch,
    > it actually feels faster compared to a fresh boot. now you can force
    > swap prefetch to start working, i use it now and then after some
    > heavy taskts which pulled everything to swap.

    I absolutely second that! It was really annoying to have the box
    unresponsive in the morning - like waiting 3-4 minutes till sylpheed
    started up. This effect is almost totally gone with sp.

      Last update: 2006-03-23 09:35    [W:0.022 / U:0.908 seconds]