    SubjectRe: p4-clockmod not working in 2.6.16
    On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 06:57 +0100, Edgar Toernig wrote:

    > And at last: reading Intel's errata it should be good enough to not go
    > below 25% instead limiting all below 2GHz. I'm not even sure whether
    > the 2GHz mentioned there is the reduced or the nominal clock. Running
    > 2GHz on 12.5% would be a really fast CPU.
    >
    > | N60. Processor May Hang under Certain Frequencies and 12.5%
    > | STPCLK# Duty Cycle
    > |
    > | Problem: If a system de-asserts STPCLK# at a 12.5% duty cycle, the
    > | processor is running below 2 GHz, and the processor thermal
    > | control circuit (TCC) on-demand clock modulation is active,
    > | the processor may hang. This erratum does not occur under
    > | the automatic mode of the TCC.
    > |
    > | Implication: When this erratum occurs, the processor will hang.
    > |
    > | Workaround: If use of the on-demand mode of the processor's TCC is desired
    > | in conjunction with STPCLK# modulation, then assure that STPCLK#
    > | is not asserted at a 12.5% duty cycle.

    Yeah, I read that too, and it looked to me like someone might have used
    a bit too mich blunt force. (not sure though) I disabled it so I could
    save a tree or two, and it seems to work fine. Of course, if it does
    ever have a seizure, I don't get to gripe ;-)

    -Mike

      Last update: 2006-03-22 07:22    [W:0.025 / U:4.008 seconds]