    SubjectRe: [2/3 PATCH] Kprobes: User space probes support- readpage hooks
    Prasanna S Panchamukhi <prasanna@in.ibm.com> wrote:

    > The basic idea is to insert probes on user applications which may or
    > may not be in memory, at the time of probe insertion.

    umm yes, but what for?

    What does this entire feature *do*? Why does Linux need it?

    OK, so it allows kernel modules to set breakpoints (via debug traps) into
    user code. But why do we want to be able to do that? What are the
    use-cases?

    This may sound like boringly obvious stuff to you, but without a complete
    problem statement from the designers, how are we to evaluate their proposed
    solution?

      Last update: 2006-03-21 03:18    [W:0.021 / U:117.448 seconds]