SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] make UNIX a bool
On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 12:31:34PM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:
> >
> > It does also matter in the kernel image size case, since you have to put
> > enough modules to the other medium for having a effect bigger than the
> > kernel image size increase from setting CONFIG_MODULES=y.
>
> That's not very difficult considering the large number of modules that's
> out there that a system may wish to use.

This might be true for full-blown desktop systems - but these do not
tend to be the systems where kernel image size matters that much.
Smaller kernel image size might be an issue e.g. for distribution
kernels, but in a much less pressing way.

The systems where kernel image size really matters are systems with few
modules where you know in advance which modules you might need. I played
a bit with the ARM defconfigs, and if you consider that you can't build
the filesystem for accessing your modules modular I haven't found any
where making everything modular would have given a real kernel image
size gain compared to the CONFIG_MODULES=n case.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed