    SubjectRe: Race in pagevec_strip?
    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Hugh Dickins wrote:
    > >
    > > But I should add, I don't see what might be racing with what on the
    > > same page, to cause the problem in practice.
    >
    > The page is on the inactive list at the time pagevec_strip is called
    > (see refill_inactive_zone). So kswapd could get to it. Could filesystems
    > get to the page via the mapping?

    A filesystem could get there, but I doubt it'd want to be releasing
    buffers. But now I see truncation's invalidate_complete_page,
    that looks quite capable of racing with the kswapd instance.

    Anyway, I don't disagree with your patch, and happy to see it now
    in Linus' tree: was just wanting to make clear that I hadn't actually
    seen the race in question, and didn't know if you were fixing a
    potentiality or something actually seen.

    Hugh

      Last update: 2006-03-17 19:07    [W:0.022 / U:71.484 seconds]