SubjectRe: Race in pagevec_strip?
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> >
> > But I should add, I don't see what might be racing with what on the
> > same page, to cause the problem in practice.
> The page is on the inactive list at the time pagevec_strip is called
> (see refill_inactive_zone). So kswapd could get to it. Could filesystems
> get to the page via the mapping?

A filesystem could get there, but I doubt it'd want to be releasing
buffers. But now I see truncation's invalidate_complete_page,
that looks quite capable of racing with the kswapd instance.

Anyway, I don't disagree with your patch, and happy to see it now
in Linus' tree: was just wanting to make clear that I hadn't actually
seen the race in question, and didn't know if you were fixing a
potentiality or something actually seen.

  Last update: 2006-03-17 19:07    [W:0.069 / U:6.356 seconds]