SubjectRe: [RFC, PATCH 14/24] i386 Vmi reboot fixes
Zachary Amsden <zach@vmware.com> writes:

> Fix reboot to work with the VMI. We must support fallback to the standard
> BIOS reboot mechanism. Turns out that this is required by kexec, and a good
> idea for native hardware.

Huh? Rebooting through the BIOS and kexec are pretty much mutually exclusive.
Looking at the patch I can't see what you are talking about either.

Does kexec successfully work under VMWare?

> We simply insert the NOP VMI reboot hook before
> calling the BIOS reboot. While here, fix SMP reboot issues as well. The
> problem is the halt() macro in VMI has been defined to be equivalent to
> safe_halt(), which enables interrupts. Several call sites actually want to
> disable interrupts and shutdown the processor, which is what VMI_Shutdown()
> does.

machine_halt actually is not one of those places.

machine_halt does not want to stop the processor. It is very much
about killing the kernel and user space but having the software still
linger a little.

This needs a cleaner abstraction to make sense or go in.

Eric

  Last update: 2006-03-15 23:11    [W:0.053 / U:0.936 seconds]