SubjectRe: Patch 2/9] Initialization
Alan Cox wrote:

>On Mer, 2006-03-15 at 11:24 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>>>+ * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
>>>+ * under the terms of version 2.1 of the GNU Lesser General Public License
>>>+ * as published by the Free Software Foundation.
>>>+ *
>>LGPL inside the kernel doesn't make a whole lot of sense.... better make
>>it GPL.
>When you combine an LGPL and GPL work you get a GPL work so yes it would
>be clearer to mark it GPL as that is what it became as it was merged,
>but perhaps to add a note stating where it can be obtained under other
>licenses for other projects.
Thanks. The LGPL usage is a mistake in the core code....will change to GPL
everywhere except the case below. There's no intent to have the kernel
code available
under other licenses etc. so thats not a problem.

However, the confusion about what license to use for a header file that
will need to be
included in a potentially non-GPL user application persists. The header file
include/linux/taskstats.h, created in patch 9/9

defines the user-kernel messaging interface and should probably continue
to have LGPL,
just to be absolutely safe legally. I've not been following the legal
twists too carefully so
its probably overkill.

  Last update: 2006-03-15 16:55    [W:0.070 / U:4.528 seconds]