SubjectRe: [Patch 0/9] Per-task delay accounting
Greg KH wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:49:16PM -0500, Shailabh Nagar wrote:
>

>>Greg KH wrote:

>>>Do you have any benchmark numbers with this patch applied and with it
>>>not applied?
>>>

>>None yet. Wanted to iron out the collection/utility aspects a bit before
>>going into
>>the performance impact.
>>
>>But this seems as good a time as any to collect some stats
>>using the usual suspects lmbench, kernbench, hackbench etc.
>>

>>>Last I heard it was a measurable decrease for some
>>>"important" benchmark results...
>>>

>>Might have been from an older iteration where schedstats was fully enabled.
>>But no point speculating....will run with this set of patches and see
>>what shakes out.
>>
>>One point about the overhead is that it depends on the frequency with
>>which data is
>>collected. So a proper test would probably be a comparison of a
>>non-patched kernel
>>with
>>a) patches applied but delay accounting not turned on at boot i.e. cost
>>of the checks
>>b) delay accounting turned on but not being read
>>

>This is probably the most important one, as that is what distros will be
>looking at. They will have to enable the option, but will not "turn it
>on".

I guess you meant a), not b) but yes, will run them in all these modes.

>>c) delay accounting turned on and data read for all tasks at some
>>"reasonable" rate
>>
>>Will that be good ? Other suggestions welcome.
>>

>How about real benchmarks? The ones that the big companies look at? I
>know you have access to them :)

Hmm...though you also know, from working for some "big company", that
it might
take a while to get such data since one has to stand in queue :-)
I'll try, and also explore the OSDL STP's DBT tests.

Thanks,
Shailabh

>thanks,
>
>greg k-h

  Last update: 2006-03-14 23:02    [W:0.068 / U:0.280 seconds]