    SubjectRe: Which kernel is the best for a small linux system?
    On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 21:40 -0300, j4K3xBl4sT3r wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I've been seeing many Linux versions, with many features, some of them
    > just for the newest branches (2.4.x and 2.6.x), I would like to know
    > for which kind of system each kernel is recommended. On the distros
    > that we see inside the Net there is the 2.4.x series, normally I
    > update to 2.6.x (in case of my Slackware 10.2, even getting problems
    > with some devices). Is that floppy disks uses only 2.0.x and 2.2.x
    > Kernels? If applicable, where can I get (detailed) information about
    > these issues? I'm new on Kernel managing, started doing my own distros
    > at less than one month and would like to know it.

    regardless of the size issue; you should really not start any new
    projects based on 2.4 kernels; they are in deep deep maintenance mode
    for now, but it's unclear how long they will be (I suppose as long as
    people keep sending patches), especially complex security issues should
    worry people ;)

    2.6 is actively maintained and will be for quite some time :)

      Last update: 2006-03-13 09:20    [W:0.022 / U:1.124 seconds]