SubjectRe: Router stops routing after changing MAC Address
 > Anyway, if the device fails, you have
> routers and hosts ARPing the interface, trying to establish a
> route anyway.

But only after what may be a much longer time than the customer is
willing to accept or able to configure. I know of a number of HA
situations where the "new" device is given the "old" MAC just to avoid
that speicific situation of ARP caches not being updated except after
quite some time. Not necessarily on the end-systems, the issue can be
with intermediate devices (routers).

And if one has to work with static ARP entries to deal (however
imperfectly) with ARP poisioning or whatnot...

Indeed, there is a large onus on the software doing the MAC override to
make sure it does not break the required uniqueness. Just as if one
were using locally administered MAC addresses.

rick jones

  Last update: 2006-03-13 22:52    [W:1.059 / U:0.936 seconds]