    SubjectRe: Which kernel is the best for a small linux system?
    On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:17:47AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 21:40 -0300, j4K3xBl4sT3r wrote:
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I've been seeing many Linux versions, with many features, some of them
    > > just for the newest branches (2.4.x and 2.6.x), I would like to know
    > > for which kind of system each kernel is recommended. On the distros
    > > that we see inside the Net there is the 2.4.x series, normally I
    > > update to 2.6.x (in case of my Slackware 10.2, even getting problems
    > > with some devices). Is that floppy disks uses only 2.0.x and 2.2.x
    > > Kernels? If applicable, where can I get (detailed) information about
    > > these issues? I'm new on Kernel managing, started doing my own distros
    > > at less than one month and would like to know it.
    >
    > regardless of the size issue; you should really not start any new
    > projects based on 2.4 kernels; they are in deep deep maintenance mode
    > for now, but it's unclear how long they will be (I suppose as long as
    > people keep sending patches), especially complex security issues should
    > worry people ;)
    >
    > 2.6 is actively maintained and will be for quite some time :)

    Any comments on this:
    http://www.denx.de/wiki/Know/Linux24vs26

    On another denx.de page I found this summary (so you do not have to
    visit the page):
    # slow to build: 2.6 takes 30...40% longer to compile
    # Big memory footprint in flash: the 2.6 compressed kernel image is
    # 30...40% bigger
    # Big memory footprint in RAM: the 2.6 kernel needs 30...40% more RAM;
    # the available RAM size for applications is 700kB smaller
    # Slow to boot: 2.6 takes 5...15% longer to boot into multi-user mode
    # Slow to run: context switches up to 96% slower, local communication
    # latencies up to 80% slower, file system latencies up to 76% slower,
    # local communication bandwidth less than 50% in some cases.

    I'm merely asked because I have been pointed to this page several times
    and I do nto have numbers for 2.4 versus 2.6.

    Note: denx does support 2.6 now.

    I do not concur and recommend 2.6 but wanted to know if anyone had more
    insight to share.

    Sam

      Last update: 2006-03-13 19:30    [W:0.028 / U:34.852 seconds]