SubjectRe: LibPATA code issues / 2.6.15.4
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Mark Lord wrote:

> Eric D. Mudama wrote:
>> those drives should support all FUA opcodes properly, both queued and
>> unqueued
>
> His first drive (sda) does not support queued commands at all,
> but the newer firmware in his second drive (sdb) does support NCQ.
>
> Both drives support FUA.
>
> cheers

To trust or not to trust?

I have a 400GB SATA drive: WDC WD4000KD-00N. With these errors in dmesg
that have been mentioned throughout the thread, should I trust Linux using
this drive, or should I remove it/wait until a patch is released to
address this issue?

Also, in the forums (storagereview.com I believe), it has been noted that
these drives do NOT work on the Intel ICH5 controller, and this turned out
to be true, when I put it on the Intel ICH5, the box stalls for 2-3
minutes and then it does not see the drive. However, on the Silicon
Image, Inc. SiI 3112 chipset or Promise SATA/150 TX2 it works okay but it
has those errors in dmesg.

My question is, performing long and short smart tests, everything is
physically ok with the drive; however, I probably should not use this
drive for anything important in Linux, comments?

Justin.

  Last update: 2006-03-01 12:40    [W:3.563 / U:0.388 seconds]