    SubjectRSS Limit implementation issue
    I am working to implement enforcing RSS limits of a process. I am
    planning to make a check for rss limit when setting up pte. If the
    limit is crossed I see couple of different ways of handling .

    1. Kill the process . In this case there is no swapping problem.

    2. Dont kill the process but dont allocate the memory & do yield as we
    do for init process. Modify the scheduler not to chose the process
    which has already allocated rss upto its limit. When rss usage
    fallsbelow its limit then the scheduler may chose it again to run.
    Here there is a scenario when no page of the process has been freed or
    swapped out because there were enough free pages? Then we need a way
    to reschedule the process by forcefully freeing some pages or need to
    kill the process.

    I am looking forward for your comments & pros/cons of both approach &
    any other alternatives you might come up with.

    Ram Gupta

      Last update: 2006-02-09 22:13    [W:0.020 / U:14.944 seconds]