    Subjectdata retention after mkfs.ext3
    We deploy a linux system by rsync'ing a filesystem off of a squashfs
    FS on a CD. The deployment is automated and always involves an
    mkfs.ext3 prior to any file copy. We have had some reports that tend
    to indicate that some of the data from a previous install (of the same
    method) is corrupting at least some of the files on a new install.
    Old settings and random behavior has been seen, and breaking the RAID1
    logical drive and rebuilding prior to install has always fixed the
    issue.

    It is my impression that mkfs.ext3 will make any existing data on a
    block device invisiable to the new ext3 FS. Is it possible that if
    the old FS is similar enough to the new one that the old data could
    somehow influence the new files written to a new ext3 FS?

    I know this *should* be impossible, but is it truly impossible?

      Last update: 2006-02-08 23:08    [W:5.189 / U:0.004 seconds]