    SubjectRE: [2.6 patch] let IA64_GENERIC select more stuff
    Adrian Bunk wrote on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 6:09 PM
    > > CONFIG_IA64_GENERIC is a platform type choice, you can have platform
    > > type of DIG, HPZX1, SGI SN2, or all of the above. DIG platform depends
    > > on ACPI, thus need ACPI on. SGI altix is a numa box, thus, need NUMA
    > > on. NEC, Fujitsu build numa machines with ACPI SRAT table, thus, need
    > > ACPI_NUMA on. When you build a kernel to boot on all platforms, you
    > > have no choice but to turn on all of the above. Processor type and SMP
    > > is different from platform type. It does not have any dependency on
    > > platform type. They are orthogonal choice.
    > This is interesting, considering that e.g. IA64_SGI_SN2=y, NUMA=n or
    > IA64_DIG=y, ACPI=n are currently allowed configurations.

    Right, that is what Matthew Wilcox said in earlier thread.

    > > > Keith said IA64_GENERIC should select all the options required in
    > > > order to run on all the IA64 platforms out there.
    > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > > > This is what my patch does.
    > >
    > > You patch does more than what you described and is wrong. Selecting
    > > platform type should not be tied into selecting SMP nor should it tied
    > This was what Keith wanted.
    > It seems everyone thinks I am wrong, but when I'm implementing what one
    > person suggests, other people say that what I am doing is wrong.

    You have to digest what people say and *understand* why they said what they
    say. Checking earlier thread, Keith did not say "select CONFIG_ITANIUM
    for generic ia64 platforms".

    > > Theoretically and maybe academically interesting, I should be able to
    > > build a kernel that boots on all UP platforms, with your patch, that
    > > is not possible.
    > Theoretically and maybe academically interesting, I should be able to
    > build a kernel that boots on all non-NUMA platforms, currently, that is
    > not possible.

    This is going too far and very childish in my opinion. I'm going to shut

    - Ken

      Last update: 2006-02-08 03:21    [W:0.026 / U:2.228 seconds]