    SubjectRe: Linux drivers management
    Dear all,

    First of all, thanks for giving me lots of wonderful feedbacks, I read
    both pros and cons, support and against msgs. And you are right, I am
    serious person about this matter, not joking. Because I do this for my
    bread and butter, not just for fun.

    Before I continue this discussion, I would really want to clarify who am
    I before get discriminated by end-users and developers, because I am both.

    I am a full-time (M$_less) Linux user (many years...., Sharp Zaurus PDA,
    Linux on laptop, desktop, server, storage and datacenter) with zero
    windows experience for the last 5 years (can't remember, my last windows
    desktop was on NT 4.0/Win98). I am an engineer, I wrote many file
    systems (cogofs, unionfs,
    .....more), cluster infrastructure (used in ShaoLin InfiniCluster, data
    replication (used in Shaolin Volume Replicator), load balancing, iSCSI
    storage drivers..... . I am also a system architect/engineering
    manager, architect core Linux system software from scratch, desktop,
    network computing, servers, network related projects. I am also a R&D
    team manager, hiring, training, manage engineers .

    In fact, this is not to talk about myself, but my full-time Linux
    experience tells me Linux development is walking away with end-uesrs and
    commercial developers that try to work with Linux. It sounds too scary
    by now, with over 40MB tarred gzip kernel source. With personal efforts
    and company resources, we maintain more than hundreds (probably
    thousand) of Linux kernel headers and sources in our lab for building
    off-the-shelf supported binary drivers with multiple hardware archs
    (x86, ppc...). Because of this, who is going to pay for this? It doesn't
    make any sense for anyone who want to maintain and write a driver for
    Linux have to pay this price.

    My summary from the responses from lkml collected as follows. Please
    feel free to make correction if I am wrong, or comment if you want, I
    will minimize to say about subjective comment to others comment in an
    open area though.

    Community Developers and Maintainers:
    - Look at the matter on community development process, programming
    - Chase for performance, optimization in source level, even though it is
    difficult to maintain, who cares?
    - Want freedom, change at will (with supported arguments, but who cares?) .
    - My feels like it doesn't consider any other forms of development and
    respect to traditional software engineering or QA process. Because a
    stable API is first needed for teamwork collaborative development.
    - Willing to maintain and develop drivers for free, even though they
    don't work for the hardware vendor.
    - We will follow the convention who make changes to the API will have to
    patch all the mess in the kernel source, even though there are 3,714,234
    hardware peripheral drivers in the kernel in year 2012, I am happy to do
    that :) . Because I want to make change and following the convention.
    (how much time to make change or test?)

    Technical End-Users:
    - Want to compile the drivers from source
    - Enjoy building their own kernel, apply patches (patch and make, it
    works! thats cool....)
    - I don't mind to search for drivers and do it myself, because it was
    fun to make something work with my effort :) .
    - I don't mind to upgrade my OS because of a missing driver or needed
    for new fucntionality. Even my application breaks, down time is not
    important to my system because it s a sytsem for fun.

    Non-technical Users:
    - Want the system to have drivers pre-built, so that they don't have to
    go through a compilation or patching process. Its a waste of time for
    them (waste of time for me too)
    - Why I have to search the drivers? Isn't is suppose to be included in
    the OS? Or if not included in the OS, it should be included in a driver
    disk (CD/DVD/floppy or whatever medium or download) .
    - Why I have to upgrade the complete OS if only one driver is missing? I
    want to stay with Redhat-9 , my PHP runs great.
    - There is no "Linux support" labels on most the hardware out there,
    should I risk my money, buy it and try out? Oh, full refund of item is
    not allowed . Then, don't bother ...

    Commercial developers:
    - Want a stable API so that drivers can be maintained with ease. Because
    we don't just work with Linux, we want to focus on our driver
    development, not chasing the API changes, versions by versions, vendors
    by vendors. Sometimes there are even vendor specific changes, its a
    waste of time.
    - If I have to make binary drivers, I have to maintain all kernel
    sources and headers, compilers to make sure my drivers will be built
    correctly without problem. Of risk to change symbols in the binaries and
    hope it works!
    - Where is the latest up-to-date documentation of the kernel API?
    /Documentation only partially describe what I need, its version
    specific, sometimes out-of-date, where the hell is that? Let's google it
    in, "Linux driver books", No good again.... Its crap, all not
    - Lets get on to it, read all docs and sample sources... mmm... My
    driver seems working now.. Lets compile it and distribute it. Users:
    have you got a driver for Redhat 9 2.4.18 kernel? Answer: No, it doesn't
    work, because I write my driver on 2.6.15, you may to DIY. User
    response: I want a refund, because you said your hardware has Linux
    support, but its a false statement.
    - Just leave Linux, who cares, it doens't make sense to us. Because it
    doesn't make sense to go through all these problems to say "Linux
    supported hardware", user will get refund the product if we say this on
    the box on day one.
    - Maybe we have another way to do that, submit the driver to the
    community and hope it to include it in the latest kernel source.
    Wait.... but what about support for Redhat 9 and SuSe 8.2?
    - We are happy to maintain our own drivers, because we know better about
    our hardware. We are paid to do so, we also have quality assurance
    process with formal test tools and equipment. Don't think the community
    can do a better core than us.
    - It just doesn't work for us. No more Linux driver Cd's, it will not
    happen .

    My comments:
    - Freedom? Someone tell me to shut-up . Some people define freedom using
    their own way, not even using mailling list for discussion and make
    suggetions or even define questions as "stupid", I will not say that to
    anyone. Its rude.
    - Wake up! Why would the maintainers bother to maintain the drivers if
    the driver development work is now back to the hardware vendor, like
    drivers for other platform did? I think someone mis-understood the whole
    idea is to "GET RID OF DRIVER MAINTENANCE", belive it or not, it belongs
    to the vendor, not here. If the driver releases as GPL, you can still
    make your own changes, but it doesn't have to be in main source tree.
    - You plug-in the hardware, it worked! Because many people behind the
    scene has done a lot of work. My purpose of raising this question is
    trying to help both users and developers, and try to make more hardware
    that behaves "plug-n-play" .
    - What is the goal of Linux developers? Just for fun? Or you want Linux
    to get more popular? Users want their system to get supported with
    latest drivers, not to compile and build to latest kernel. Or not to
    upgrade their Linux distro every week or month. I don't use 2.6.15 nor
    happy downloading 40Mb targged gzip kernel source and knowing how to
    "make" it.
    - Linux will not sail to major desktop unless a decent DDK (driver
    development kit) exists. There is a stable ABI on the user space, but
    the hardware has to "get worked" before anything in user space happens.
    I decide to sell my USB wireless-G adapter because I don't have a driver
    for it, neither Linksys did. I can only choose to get rid of Linux, but
    can't, so just sell it. For others, why don't they simply choose another
    supported OS?
    - /Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt is only a document totally
    written by a programmer sense, its nothing about people who don't want
    to compile the drivers, and has assumed drivers should be maintained by
    the community. But strictly speaking, it shouldn't. Please refer to the
    process of making a driver from a manufacturers point of view and
    consider user using old OS'es which don't want to upgrade.

    Final comment: There is no right or wrong, stupid or smart, it depends
    where you stands and where you want Linux to go. I am very clear myself
    is to get Linux promoted to public sectors (where I belive 99% users are
    non-technical), easy for developers (I believe everyone wants
    easy-way-out) and easy for the community (I belive you people like
    innovation, new ideas, rather thatn spend your time to work/maintain
    drivers which this work should belongs to the original vendor). If you
    think I have no contribution and stupid, that's up to you (who cares?
    Linux has been working like this in day-one that I first compile and run
    it). But my work has already beyond programming, because making patches
    for Linux doesn't make any sense to me, especially when porting drivers
    that I can't even tell what they are. My mood of patching the kernel
    goes away when today's Linux kernel targged gzip source gets to over
    40MB .. I have more important things to do. Its enough for me by now....
    Sure its not going to change, maybe but not in a year or two, but
    freedom of speech exists, right?

    David Chow

      Last update: 2006-02-07 20:48    [W:0.034 / U:20.112 seconds]