SubjectRe: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)
Date
On Tuesday 07 February 2006 13:17, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 22:01 -0500, Jim Crilly wrote:
> > With uswsusp it'll be more flexible in that you'll be able to use any
> > userland process or library to transform the image before storing it,
> > but the suspend and resume processes are going to be a lot more
> > complicated. For instance, how are you going to tell the kernel that
> > you need the uswsusp UI binary, /bin/gzip and /usr/bin/gpg to run
> > after the rest of userland has been frozen?
>
> Unless someone at least gives a rough estimate of 1) what % of users
> can't suspend their laptops now and 2) of these, what % are helped by
> suspend2, this thread is just handwaving...

Percentages would be pure guesswork, but I do have _some_ numbers.

For (1), I have no idea. Furthermore, I would think that if a user can
suspend with Suspend2, they should be able to suspend with swsusp. There
were 2 driver related patches I had that swsusp doesn't, with I sent to
Andrew and to John Stultz this morning for consideration. The one sent to
Andrew might make some people be able to suspend with Suspend2 who
couldn't with swsusp, but I couldn't see how the timer related one I sent
to John could make a difference (so I asked for his evaluation). Given
that the right thing happens with them, I guess merging Suspend2 should
make virtually zero difference to whatever the answer might be to #1.

Now to #2.I haven't seen download statistics for Suspend2 since last May.
At that time, we had a release that was current for about 3 months. During
that time, there were 12,000 downloads of the version (2.1.8 IIRC). Let's
say that half of them actually applied the software and used it. Does 6000
people make it worth it? Of course, having said that, I don't know how
many people would be more likely to use it if it was in mainline and they
didn't have to patch their kernels, but I'd suspect it would be at least
that number again.

Hope that helps.

Nigel