SubjectRe: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)
On Po 06-02-06 19:37:13, Jim Crilly wrote:
> On 02/07/06 12:51:40AM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This point is valid, but I don't think the users will _have_ _to_ switch to the
> > userland suspend. AFAICT we are going to keep the kernel-based code
> > as long as necessary.
> >
> > We are just going to implement features in the user space that need not be
> > implemented in the kernel. Of course they can be implemented in the
> > kernel, and you have shown that clearly, but since they need not be there,
> > we should at least try to implement them in the user space and see how this
> > works.
> >
> > Frankly, I have no strong opinion on whether they _should_ be implemented
> > in the user space or in the kernel, but I think we won't know that until
> > we actually _try_.
> >

> Some of the stuff belongs in userspace without a doubt, like the UI. But
> why was the cryptoapi stuff added to the kernel if everytime someone goes
> to use it people yell "That's too much complexity, do it in userspace!"?

For stuff that can't be reasonably done in userspace, like encrypted
loop. And notice that cryptoapi does *not* yet contain LZW.
Pavel

--
Web maintainer for suspend.sf.net (www.sf.net/projects/suspend) wanted...