    SubjectOOM behavior in constrained memory situations
    There are situations in which memory allocations are restricted by policy,
    by a cpuset or by type of allocation.

    I propose that we need different OOM behavior for the cases in which the
    user has imposed a limit on what type of memory to be allocated. In that
    case the application should be terminate with OOM. The OOM killer should
    not run.

    The huge page allocator has already been modified to return a Bus Error
    because it would otherwise trigger the OOM killer. Its a bit strange
    if an app returns a Bus Error because it its out of memory.

    Could we modify the system so that the application requesting
    memory is terminated with an out of memory condition if

    1. No huge pages are available anymore.

    2. The application has set a policy that restricts allocation to
    certain nodes.

    3. An application is restricted by a cpuset to certain nodes.

    4. An application has requested large amounts of memory and the
    allocation fails.

    That should avoid the OOM killer in most situations.

      Last update: 2006-02-06 22:01    [W:0.018 / U:7.856 seconds]