SubjectRe: Linux drivers management
David Chow wrote:
>> This is a classic question, by seperating out the drivers you make it
>> so much harder for all developers to propagate changes into all pieces
>> of the tree.
>
> I write drivers, never need to change kernel if the kernel API is mature
> enough to provide the need of a module developer needs. There is no
> reason to make changes to the kernel source, only needed because the
> original kernel code is crap or the API designed without proper
> software/system architectural design work effort. Each Linux kernel
> version go through a lengthy beta release cycle (e.g. 2.3, 2.5, 2.7),
> this shouldn't happen and idea collection should be enough through this
> large Linux community.

Silly me, it was a trick question. I should have known better than to
fall into that trap. See the responses you got from other people already
and go check out the archives.

No even better, here's a link:
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt

If you still wish to argue for this, please take me off the CC list.
To be honest, I don't think anyone on linux-kernel is interested in yet
another round of this one.

Cheers,
Jes

  Last update: 2006-02-06 18:45    [W:0.214 / U:0.532 seconds]