    SubjectRe: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest) (was: Rationale for RLIMIT_MEMLOCK?)
    Date
    On Monday 06 February 2006 13:51, Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > Luke-Jr <luke@dashjr.org> wrote:
    > > ProDVD is immoral software. I use growisofs.
    >
    > growisofs is immoral, see
    >
    > http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/solaris.com.html
    >
    > Either this, or the GPL applies, but not both as intended by the author....

    You can dual license any work. Someone who receives growisofs under this
    license would not be allowed to redistribute it without permission granted
    therein. However, if that same person receives growisofs under the GPL
    license, the GPL terms apply. A GPL license only applies if the person has
    received the software under those terms. While most GPL'd software is
    available online under the GPL license, making it effectively everyone to
    receive the license, it is not necessary.

    On Monday 06 February 2006 17:25, you wrote:
    > Peter Read <peter.read@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > I'm confused about where software has inherited a sense of morality from?
    > >
    > > Equally, as I can't see any restriction of the GPL in that link I
    > > don't get the reference. What it's essentially saying to me is 'if
    > > you don't want it under the GPL licence terms, talk to the copyright
    > > holder(s) or their authorised representative about alternatives'.
    >
    > Please read again carefully. It says that it is not allowed to be shipped
    > together with commercial software unless the publisher did pay money.

    However, that applies only for that particular license. If the publisher
    obtains the rights elsewhere (eg, the GPL licensed version), then they may do
    so provided they comply with the rest of the GPL terms. Note that the GPL
    prohibits distributing growisofs linked to non-GPL-compatible software. Thus,
    if Solaris is not under a GPL-compatible license, the GPL prohibits
    distributing growisofs with it.

      Last update: 2006-02-06 18:43    [W:2.778 / U:0.048 seconds]