SubjectRe: Linux drivers management
David,

You got my vote..... I make simple hardware to improve availability
of operational systems and i just
can't go to build a native driver because i could not find a kit that
works.... now i use a perl script to
acomplish this mission... it works greate but is not beaulty as i like
it to be.... Time is money.....

Pedro Alves

David Chow wrote:

>> David> separate Linux drivers and the the main kernel, and manage
>> David> drivers using a package management system that only manages
>> David> kernel drivers and modules? If this can be done, the kernel
>> David> maintenance can be simple, and will end-up with a more stable
>> David> (less frequent changed) kernel API for drivers, also make every
>> David> developers of drivers happy.
>>
>> David> Would like to see that happens .
>>
>> Simple answer: no
>>
>> Maybe someone is working on it, but it's highly unlikely to be
>> anything but a waste of that person's time.
>>
>> This is a classic question, by seperating out the drivers you make it
>> so much harder for all developers to propagate changes into all pieces
>> of the tree.
>
> I write drivers, never need to change kernel if the kernel API is
> mature enough to provide the need of a module developer needs. There
> is no reason to make changes to the kernel source, only needed because
> the original kernel code is crap or the API designed without proper
> software/system architectural design work effort. Each Linux kernel
> version go through a lengthy beta release cycle (e.g. 2.3, 2.5, 2.7),
> this shouldn't happen and idea collection should be enough through
> this large Linux community.
>
> If our time is to focus on kernel's kernel, writing good documentation
> about a stable kernel API, it will benefit many developers to write
> drivers to Linux . It is too difficult to learn, this is a main reason
> why Linux is lack of support from manufacturer drivers, not because
> they don't like Linux and no market, it is because this has created
> high entry barrier for them.
>
> I've been working on Linux modules for many years, training my
> engineers, talking to developers, hw manufacturers .. believe it or
> not, this is the main reason. They all ask for a DDK for Linux that
> can make drivers easily for their product.
>
> I think I am in a different position like you guys, I've been work
> with Linux from programmer level to Linux promotion . My goal is not
> just focus on Linux technical or programming, I would like to promote
> this operating system to not just for programmers, but also
> non-technical end-users . Writing C code to me is just bits of task of
> some process. You are too much focus on programming without
> considering the market situation.
>
> There is no right or wrong for this question, but my original question
> is to listen thoughts and to hear the goal of people in the list. And
> of course, I would really like to see you people look into the way to
> facilitate more people gets a path with ease to Linux drivers
> development. User driver installation without the need to know about
> kernel sources, gcc, make etc.... "Because I am a dummy, I want to
> plug-in my device, put in the driver disc and hope it works!"
>
> regards,
> David Chow
> -
> [...]

begin:vcard
fn:Pedro Alves
n:Alves;Pedro
org:Moebius Tecnologia em Informatica Ltda
adr:;;Rua Jardim Botanico 674 sala 507;Rio de janeiro;RJ;22461000;Brasil
email;internet:pedro@moebius.com.br
title:Diretor de Marketing
tel;work:21 2294-3772
tel;fax:21 2294-2794
tel;home:21 8762-1264
tel;cell:21 8762-1264
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.moebius.com.br
version:2.1
end:vcard

  Last update: 2006-02-06 18:04    [W:0.044 / U:0.256 seconds]