    SubjectRe: quality control
    On Mon, Feb 06 2006, Kyle Moffett wrote:
    > On Feb 06, 2006, at 06:09, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > >Kyle Moffett <> writes:
    > >>It's a GIT version of an RC patch for grief's sake! You don't
    > >>seriously expect people to quadruple-check every trivial patch
    > >>that goes into Linus GIT tree before sending it, do you?
    > >
    > >No quadruple check, but every patch going to Linus should get at
    > >least some basic testing and it's definitely suppose to compile at
    > >least in one .config combination.
    > Well, yes, and it did. The problem was that if you turned off ACLs,
    > it didn't work; only one or two variants of about 6 or 8 ways to
    > configure reiserfs stopped working. Given that, I can't see how Hans

    Look, it's really simple: lets say I make a change that has to do with
    PM, you do a quick compile test with and _without_ PM just to check you
    didn't screw anything up with that change. You change reiserfs acl
    stuff, you do a quick compile test with and without that configured.

    It's a pretty standard procedure, and contrary to what you think, it
    _is_ required before submitting a patch. No one is asking anyone to
    check all possible configure options, but the interesting data set is
    typically extremely easy to guess looking at a change.

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2006-02-06 14:44    [W:0.046 / U:6.668 seconds]