SubjectRe: quality control
On Mon, Feb 06 2006, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> On Feb 06, 2006, at 06:09, Andi Kleen wrote:
> >Kyle Moffett <mrmacman_g4@mac.com> writes:
> >>It's a GIT version of an RC patch for grief's sake! You don't
> >>seriously expect people to quadruple-check every trivial patch
> >>that goes into Linus GIT tree before sending it, do you?
> >
> >No quadruple check, but every patch going to Linus should get at
> >least some basic testing and it's definitely suppose to compile at
> >least in one .config combination.
>
> Well, yes, and it did. The problem was that if you turned off ACLs,
> it didn't work; only one or two variants of about 6 or 8 ways to
> configure reiserfs stopped working. Given that, I can't see how Hans

Look, it's really simple: lets say I make a change that has to do with
PM, you do a quick compile test with and _without_ PM just to check you
didn't screw anything up with that change. You change reiserfs acl
stuff, you do a quick compile test with and without that configured.

It's a pretty standard procedure, and contrary to what you think, it
_is_ required before submitting a patch. No one is asking anyone to
check all possible configure options, but the interesting data set is
typically extremely easy to guess looking at a change.

--
Jens Axboe