    SubjectRe: CD writing in future Linux try #2
    On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Joerg Schilling wrote:

    > Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Free, but not open source, and that's an issue with a mission critical
    > > application. For home use it doesn't matter, for business use it really
    >
    > Since when is mission critical requiring OpenSource?

    Clearly mission critical software should be available long term. Open
    source is one way to provide that, as is buying from a solid company. But
    if you were hit by a bus, who would maintain ProDVD?

    Not having a clear answer I would assume "no one." Open source isn't a
    requirement, some viable plan other than "migrate to something else" is.
    If good size companies are willing to put their code in escrow to release
    if the company is no longer supporting for some reason, it's a viable
    business concern.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc