    SubjectRe: Development tree, PLEASE?
    On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 04:31:58PM -0600, Christopher Friesen wrote:
    > Willy Tarreau wrote:
    > >Given the past
    > >experience of 2.4 and the time I can spend on kernel work, I would
    > >not even consider basing anything on 2.6 before something like 2.6.20-25,
    > >when it will hopefully settle down a bit.
    > Unfortunately there are many times when this simply isn't an option.
    > I'm currently working on boards that simply are not supported on 2.4.
    > Thus either we need to track 2.6, or else we need to pay someone to do
    > it for us and hope they do a good job.
    > Of course what actually happens is that you pick a kernel version
    > (hopefully you pick well) and then backport fixes.

    This choice is valid when you have time or money for this. What I said
    is people who have no skills, no time and no money should obviously
    not consider 2.6 right now for a new project, it's moving too fast, and
    spending 1 hour a week on it is not enough.

    > Upgrading
    > continuously simply isn't an option, as we have multiple vendors
    > providing BSPs, drivers, patches, etc. and they're all supported only
    > for that specific kernel version. We can really only upversion the
    > kernel once a year or so, if that often.

    > Chris

      Last update: 2006-02-03 06:11    [W:0.019 / U:13.144 seconds]