    SubjectRe: Memory compression (again). . help?
    On 2/28/06, John Richard Moser <> wrote:
    > Hmm, I can't see where the kernel checks to see which pages are least
    > used. . . . anyone good with the VM can point me in the right direction?

    The page reclaim code responsible for shrinking the LRUs code be found
    in mm/vmscan.c. That file contains a lot of code, my recommendation to
    you is to have a look at shrink_zone() which is responsible for
    rotating and shrinking the active and inactive lists.

    Also, If you want to compress pages that normally would be swapped
    out, then I recommend you to have a look at the functions in
    mm/swap_state.c and see how swap space gets allocated and freed.

    If you need to know more about the Linux VM then I recommend you to
    buy the excellent book "Understanding the Linux Virtual Memory
    Manager" written by Mel Gorman, ISBN 0-13-145348-3. My copy of that
    book covers Linux-2.4 and has some comments about 2.6 too.

    / magnus

      Last update: 2006-02-28 06:22    [W:0.026 / U:37.672 seconds]