SubjectRe: Memory compression (again). . help?
On 2/28/06, John Richard Moser <nigelenki@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hmm, I can't see where the kernel checks to see which pages are least
> used. . . . anyone good with the VM can point me in the right direction?

The page reclaim code responsible for shrinking the LRUs code be found
in mm/vmscan.c. That file contains a lot of code, my recommendation to
you is to have a look at shrink_zone() which is responsible for
rotating and shrinking the active and inactive lists.

Also, If you want to compress pages that normally would be swapped
out, then I recommend you to have a look at the functions in
mm/swap_state.c and see how swap space gets allocated and freed.

If you need to know more about the Linux VM then I recommend you to
buy the excellent book "Understanding the Linux Virtual Memory
Manager" written by Mel Gorman, ISBN 0-13-145348-3. My copy of that
book covers Linux-2.4 and has some comments about 2.6 too.

/ magnus

  Last update: 2006-02-28 06:22    [W:0.085 / U:1.136 seconds]