    SubjectRe: LibPATA code issues /
    On Mon, Feb 27 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Tejun Heo wrote:
    > > Hello, Mark.
    > >
    > > Mark Lord wrote:
    > > >
    > > > .. hold off on 2.6.16 because of this or not?
    > > >

    > > It certainly is dangerous. I guess we should turn off FUA for the
    > > time being. Barrier auto-fallback was once implemented but it
    > > didn't seem like a good idea as it was too complex and hides low
    > > level bug from higher level. The concensus seems to be developing
    > > blacklist of drives which lie about FUA support (currently only one
    > > drive). Official kernel doesn't seem to be the correct place to grow
    > > the blacklist, Maybe we should do it from -mm?
    > For 2.6.16, the only sane solution for now is to just turn it off.
    > Somebody want to send me a patch that does that, along with an ack from
    > Mark (and whoever else sees this) that it fixes his/their problems?

    That's the best solution right now. I guess there's no way around a
    blacklist for FUA support and we need time to grow that :-(
    And proper fallback to non-FUA writes with disabling FUA based barriers
    as well.

    Mark, what drive model+firmware are you using?

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2006-02-28 09:07    [W:0.021 / U:22.624 seconds]