    SubjectRe: Red Hat ES4 GPL Issues?

    * Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

    > On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:45:46AM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
    > > I know but this deviates from how they did it in the past. No worry,
    > > sooner or later Linux will get so
    > > large in these distros, you will need a DVD to hold all of it, so I can
    > > understand if space was at a premium
    > > on those CD iso images.
    >
    > Debian takes 2 DVDs for binaries and 2 DVDs for sources. I think we
    > may need BD-ROM or HD-DVD real soon. :)

    btw., this 5GB+ of compressed source code means (using conservative
    calculations, and taking code duplication across projects and packages
    into account), that the raw linecount of the OSS source codebase
    distributed via Debian has exceeded half a billion (500 million) lines
    of code. Wow!

    That makes Linux and OSS the largest man-made science project in
    history. It also means that the cost of redeveloping the Debian codebase
    using commerical methods could exceed 100 billion US dollars. [Sidenote:
    no wonder the only remaining anti-Linux company (MS) is worried - they
    are quite big and rich, but no way can they hold up against such type of
    grass-roots exponential growth, and they know it.]

    Ingo

      Last update: 2006-02-27 09:06    [W:2.761 / U:0.172 seconds]