    SubjectRe: LibPATA code issues / 2.6.15.4
    Mark Lord wrote:

    > ..
    >>> The command failing above is SCSI WRITE_10, which is being
    >>> translated into ATA_CMD_WRITE_FUA_EXT by libata.
    >>>
    >>> This command fails -- unrecognized by the drive in question.
    >>> But libata reports it (most incorrectly) as a "medium error",
    >>> and the drive is taken out of service from its RAID.
    >>>
    >>> Bad, bad, and worse.

    .. hold off on 2.6.16 because of this or not?

    > Well, no doubt whatsoever about it being a "regression",
    > since the FUA code is *new* in 2.6.16 (not present in 2.6.15).
    >
    > The FUA code should either get fixed, or removed from 2.6.16.

    Actually, now that I've done a little more digging, this FUA stuff
    is inherently dangerous as implemented. A least a few SATA controllers
    including pipelines and whatnot that rely upon recognizing the (S)ATA
    opcodes being using. And I sincerely doubt that any of those will
    recognize the very newish (and aptly named..) FUA opcodes.

    These may be unsafe in general, unless we tag controllers as
    FUA-capable and NON-FUA-capable, in addition to tagging the drives.

    :/

      Last update: 2006-02-27 22:36    [W:0.039 / U:61.264 seconds]